Skip Navigation
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators
Contact Us| View Cart (0)

Campus Laboratory School Records, 1899-1997Add to your cart. | Special Collections & University Archives

Title: Campus Laboratory School Records, 1899-1997Add to your cart.
ID: MS-0299
Extent: 5.51 Linear Feet
Predominant Dates: 1950-1970
expand icon Historical Note

Initially named the Training School, the Campus Laboratory School (or Campus Lab School) was established in 1900, and located on the State Normal School campus.  The school provided instruction for elementary, middle, and high school students in small classes where they could receive more individualized instruction.  Besides serving as a grammar school, the Training School allowed Normal School students the opportunity to instruct the students themselves, thus providing practice and teaching experience.  When Edward Hardy began his term as president in 1910, he discontinued the high school segment of the Training School because increasing enrollment (by 1910 the Training School had over four hundred students) was causing space problems.  To accommodate the growth in enrollment the school moved into a separate building. 

When the college moved to Montezuma Mesa in 1931, the Training School maintained its own separate building on the new campus as part of the science complex.  This new facility featured classrooms, a library, and a playground.  In 1936, the school set up a Child Study Laboratory for Home Economics students to earn credit towards their degrees.  In 1953, during a period of campus expansion, the Campus Lab School again relocated to a new building, and officially changed its name to the Campus Laboratory School.  Several years later, because of an influx of students in the School of Education, the Campus Lab School transitioned from its original purpose as a "practice" school to an observation and research center.  Although students in the teacher program were still able to student teach at the school, the majority of students observed classes and instructional techniques at the school, and received their student teaching experience at other San Diego public schools.

Despite this shift in function, the school remained extremely popular, and had a long waitlist by 1960.  In addition, the school's curriculum was innovative and on the cutting-edge of educational techniques, child development, and teaching training.  The school experimented with individualized curriculum, a non-graded organizational structure, team teaching, self-directed learning, creative teaching, bilingual programs, and programs for special needs and gifted students, all of which propelled the Campus Lab School and San Diego State's teaching program to national recognition.  In 1970, state budget cuts forced the closure of the Campus Lab School.  The old Campus Lab site was razed in 1991.

Author: Amanda Lanthorne
expand icon Arrangement

I. Administrative Files, 1899-1993

II. Library Files, 1950-1970

III. Parents Association Files, 1949-1971

IV. Campus Lab School Publications, 1955-1977

V. Photograph, Scrapbook, and Student Project Files, 1925-1970

expand icon Administrative Information
Restrictions: This collection is open for research.
Rights: The copyright interests in some of these materials have been transferred to or belong to San Diego State University. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections means that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. Requests for permission to publish must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish.  Materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
Acquisition Note: Multiple donors
Preferred Citation: Identification of item, folder title, box number, Campus Laboratory School Records, Special Collections and University Archives, Library and Information Access, San Diego State University.
Collection Material Type: Official Records
Printer-friendly Printer-friendly | Email Us Email Us


Page Generated in: 0.099 seconds (using 142 queries).
Using 8.22MB of memory. (Peak of 8.6MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign