Skip Navigation
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators
Contact Us| View Cart (0)

Women's Association Collection, 1927-2000Add to your cart. | Special Collections & University Archives

Title: Women's Association Collection, 1927-2000Add to your cart.
ID: MS-0367
Extent: 2.5 Linear Feet
Predominant Dates: 1940-2000
expand icon Historical Note

The San Diego State University Women's Association began as the Faculty Dames club in 1927. The club was established as a social organization to help faculty wives get to know each other. The club's first meeting was held February 4, 1927, where Mrs. Edward Hardy, wife of the university's president, was elected the club's first president. The seventeen charter members also elected a Vice President, a Secretary / Treasurer, and set the yearly dues at one dollar per member. Two hostesses were appointed to provide refreshments and entertainment at future meetings which were to be held at members' homes, as there was no place for them to meet on campus.

By-laws for the Faculty Dames were established in November of 1932. The group's objective was to promote education at San Diego state by providing scholarships and other charitable endeavors while promoting a more social campus. The group began working with the Dean of Women in order to help needy women students. The Faculty Dames set up a scholarship fund to help women complete their education. Many types of fundraisers were held over the years with proceeds going to their scholarship fund. The group even published four cookbooks in order to raise money.

In 1971, the Faculty Dames changed their name to Faculty Wives. They would change their name again in 1974 to Women's Club, before becoming the San Diego State University Women's Association in 1983. Membership in the group continued to grow, from 31 members in 1931 to 240 in 1970. Their scholarship fund also continued to grow and awards grew from $50 per student to $1500 per student.  The SDSU Women's Association also donated to various campus groups such as KPBS, the on-campus Child Care Center, the Library, and the International Students group.

Author: Jennifer Hollander
expand icon Forms of Material (links to similar genres)
expand icon Administrative Information
Restrictions: This collection is open for research.
Rights: The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine.  Requests for permission to publish must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
Preferred Citation: Identification of item, folder title, box number, Women's Association Collection, Special Collections and University Archives, Library and Information Access, San Diego State University.
Printer-friendly Printer-friendly | Email Us Email Us


Page Generated in: 0.067 seconds (using 137 queries).
Using 8.14MB of memory. (Peak of 8.54MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign