Skip Navigation
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators
Contact Us| View Cart (0)

San Diego High School Collection, 1901-1982Add to your cart. | Special Collections & University Archives

Title: San Diego High School Collection, 1901-1982Add to your cart.
ID: MS-0212
Extent: 2.5 Linear Feet
expand icon Historical Note

San Diego High School began as the Russ School in 1882.  Named for the founder of a local lumber firm, Joseph Russ donated all of the initial lumber used to build the school.  The original building, designed by the Stewart Brothers and built by Brown and Stevens, was two stories tall and had eight classrooms.  The school opened on August 14, 1882 as a grammar school with an initial enrollment of 308 students—32 more than they had chairs for.

In 1893, the school was given over completely to high school classes.  As the city's population continued to grow and the school became over crowded, architect F.S. Allen was commissioned to design a new building.  His design would come to be known as the "Castle" due to the gray stone used to complete the castle-like structure.  The new school, now officially known as San Diego High School, was dedicated on April 13, 1907.  The old Russ building was moved to the canyon behind the new school when, due to many years of neglect, it burned to the ground in 1911.

The Castle would continue to expand over the years, adding a new addition in 1912, a stadium in 1915 and an auditorium in 1926.  However, due to the passage of the Field Act in the 1960s, all school buildings constructed prior to 1933 had to be demolished.  In 1970, the firm of George Wheeler and Associates was contracted to design the new San Diego High School.  The new school was completed and occupied in September of 1977.

Author: Jennifer Hollander
expand icon Administrative Information
Acquired: 1983. 1989
Restrictions: This collection is open for research.
Rights: The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine.  Requests for permission to publish must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
Preferred Citation: Identification of item, folder title, box number, San Diego High School Collection, Special Collections and University Archives, Library and Information Access, San Diego State University.
Printer-friendly Printer-friendly | Email Us Email Us


Page Generated in: 0.06 seconds (using 136 queries).
Using 8.04MB of memory. (Peak of 8.4MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign