Skip Navigation
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators
Contact Us| View Cart (0)

Jewish Federation of San Diego County Collection, 1940-2013Add to your cart. | Special Collections & University Archives

Title: Jewish Federation of San Diego County Collection, 1940-2013Add to your cart.
ID: MS-0554
Extent: 15.13 Linear Feet
expand icon Historical Note

The first Jewish Federation was founded in Boston in 1895 as Associated Jewish Charities. Other cities formed their own Jewish charity groups, caring for the needs of their own communities and sending funds overseas to help Jews in need. In 1932 the National Council of Jewish Federations and Welfare Funds was founded as the umbrella organization for local American and Canadian chapters. In 1939 the national United Jewish Appeal (UJA) was formed, merging the fund-raising campaigns of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee (JDC), the United Palestine Appeal, and the New York Association for New Americans. In 2018 the umbrella organization is called Jewish Federations of North America.

Four local Jewish women’s charities formed the basis of what would become the Jewish Federation of San Diego County. The Ladies Hebrew Aid Society (1890), the Hebrew Sisterhood (1913), the Jolly Sixteen (circa 1912-1914) and the Junior Charity League (circa 1917) assisted the needy, gave loans and welcomed soldiers.  These four women’s groups came together to found Federated Jewish Charities, which would, in 1933, split into the Jewish Welfare Fund and the San Diego Chapter of the United Jewish Fund. These were forerunners of today’s Jewish Family Service and Jewish Federation of San Diego County. It was also called the United Jewish Federation and in 2018 it is called the Jewish Federation of San Diego County. The purpose was to provide financial, religious and moral support for Jewish communities in the United States and across the world.  In 1946 Federation women created their own Women’s Division. In 2018 it is called Women’s Philanthropy of the Jewish Federation of San Diego County.

expand icon Administrative Information
Acquired: 06/19/2018. 2018-023
Restrictions: This collection is open for research.
Rights: The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine.  Requests for permission to publish must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
Acquisition Note: Jewish Historical Society of San Diego
Related Materials:

Adat Ami Synagogue Collection

Rabbi Morton J. Cohn Collection

Lou Dunst Collection

Mark Freeman Papers

Deborah Horwitz and Paul Nierman Collection

Rose Neumann Collection

Elena Saad Collection

Irving Salomon Collection

Tifereth Israel Synagogue Collection

Abbe Wolfsheimer-Stutz Collection

Preferred Citation: Identification of item, folder title, box number, Jewish Federation of San Diego County Collection, Special Collections and University Archives, Library and Information Access, San Diego State University.
Collection Material Type: Official Records
Printer-friendly Printer-friendly | Email Us Email Us


Page Generated in: 0.081 seconds (using 142 queries).
Using 8.29MB of memory. (Peak of 8.62MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign