Skip Navigation
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators
Contact Us| View Cart (0)

Hardy, Edward Lawyer (1868-1958) | Special Collections & University Archives

Name: Hardy, Edward Lawyer (1868-1958)


Historical Note: Dr. Hardy, a native of Michigan, moved to San Diego in 1906, and served for four years as principal of San Diego High School before serving as San Diego State's president from 1910-1935.  Hardy and others induced the California state legislature to expand the program of the normal schools from two to four years and to change the name to state teachers colleges.  These changes and the need to fill a four-year curriculum brought about doubled enrollments and a larger faculty.  With this growth, the student body outgrew the capacity of the downtown campus, and President Hardy oversaw planning and construction of a new campus which was occupied in 1931.  By the time of his retirement in 1935, the number of faculty had grown to 60 and the student enrollment to 1286.





Page Generated in: 0.054 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 7.05MB of memory. (Peak of 7.25MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign