Skip Navigation
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators
Contact Us| View Cart (0)

San Diego and Coronado Ferry Company (1886-1969) | Special Collections & University Archives

Name: San Diego and Coronado Ferry Company (1886-1969)
Variant Name: San Diego Coronado Ferry Company


Historical Note:

The San Diego and Coronado Ferry Company provided ferry service for pedestrians and vehicles from San Diego to North Island and Coronado. It was incorporated by H. L. Story and Elijah S. Babcock on April 14, 1886 and was a subsidiary of the Coronado Beach Company.  The company's first function was to transport workers building the Hotel del Coronado and to promote the development of the island as a health resort and spa.

The company terminated service on August 2, 1969 at 11:59 p.m.  The Coronado Bridge officially opened one minute later. The last owners of the company, a firm owned by Jesse L. Haugh, bought it from previous owner John D. Spreckels, who had taken it over from Story and Babcock. At the time of its closing, the ferry company was a subsidiary of the San Diego Transit System and a partner to the San Diego Electric Railway.






Page Generated in: 0.056 seconds (using 109 queries).
Using 7.05MB of memory. (Peak of 7.25MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign