Skip Navigation
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators
Contact Us| View Cart (0)

Old San Diego Architectural Control Board (1966-1974) | Special Collections & University Archives

Name: Old San Diego Architectural Control Board (1966-1974)


Historical Note:

The City of San Diego established the Old San Diego Architectural Control Board in 1966 in order to preserve the historical character and appearance of Old Town State Historic Park, particularly from the Mexican pueblo period and the American period, dating from 1821 and 1871.  The Board consisted of seven members appointed for two-year terms by the mayor with confirmation by the San Diego City Council.  It remained active until 1974.

Old Town San Diego was the first permanent European settlement in California, established in 1769.  By the 1820s, after Mexican independence, San Diego became a thriving pueblo or city. Then, after the Mexican-American War and the incorporation of the State of California in 1850, San Diego became an American settlement.  The area's historical significance and diverse architectural styles led the State of California to designate Old Town a State Historic Park in 1968.  Today, the park includes the Presidio, the Whaley House, La Casa de Estudillo, Mason Street School, the San Diego Union Printing Office, the main plaza, and more.

Sources:

Old Town San Diego Guide. http://www.oldtownsandiegoguide.com.

Old Town San Diego State  Historic Park.  http://www.parks.ca.gov.

Note Author: Amanda Lanthorne





Page Generated in: 0.055 seconds (using 113 queries).
Using 7.13MB of memory. (Peak of 7.34MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign