Skip Navigation
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators
Contact Us| View Cart (0)

Reichel, Leon | Special Collections & University Archives

Name: Reichel, Leon


Historical Note: Leon and Grace Reichel moved to Vista California in 1952.  The Reichels were very active volunteers, both in the secular and Jewish communities. Leon was in the construction business and used his skills to assist the congregation in their building endeavors.   In 1953 six couples started the North County Jewish Community Center, which first met in Carlsbad, then in Oceanside. The first president was Harold Simon; the first full-time rabbi was Bernard Herzig and the longest serving rabbi was Mel Weinman. Max Furmansky was the longest serving cantor. The congregation was closely involved with the Jewish community at the Marine Base at Camp Pendleton and it went through several different names and locations in San Diego’s  North County: Congregation for Living Judaism which became Temple Solel of Oceanside which became the North County Jewish Community Center and eventually, Temple Judea of Vista.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            





Page Generated in: 0.056 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 7.05MB of memory. (Peak of 7.25MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign