Skip Navigation
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators
Contact Us| View Cart (0)

Tifereth Israel Synagogue (1905-) | Special Collections & University Archives

Name: Tifereth Israel Synagogue (1905-)


Historical Note: The earliest congregants first met at Temple Beth Israel, a reform congregation, at 2nd and Beech Streets in San Diego, continuing with orthodox services after the reform services. Tifereth Israel Congregation as it was then called, was founded in 1905 as an orthodox congregation at the home of Elias and Lena Jacobson. By 1917 they had built their own synagogue building at 18th and Market Streets. In 1948 the congregation, under the leadership of Rabbi Monroe Levens moved to a new synagogue building at 30th and Howard Streets in North Park and changed its affiliation to the Conservative Movement. After thirty years at that location, they built a new building in East San Diego, on Cowles Mountain Blvd, where Tifereth Israel Synagogue remains in 2015.





Page Generated in: 0.057 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 7.05MB of memory. (Peak of 7.25MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign