Skip Navigation
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators
Contact Us| View Cart (0)

Lemon Grove Chamber of Commerce (1926-2008) | Special Collections & University Archives

Name: Lemon Grove Chamber of Commerce (1926-2008)


Historical Note:

William H. West, one of the largest lemon grove owners in Lemon Grove, established the Lemon Grove Chamber of Commerce in 1926, and served as the organization's first president.  The Chamber's mission was to promote local business, which in the 1920s primarily consisted of citrus growers, and to improve the community by overseeing the maintenance of roads, garbage collection, and fire protection.  During the Second World War, the Chamber became inactive; however in 1946 the organization quickly revived itself under the direction of George B. White.

By the 1950s, Lemon Grove had become a residential area, and membership in the Chamber consisted of a combination of businessmen and residents.  The Chamber's mission during these years focused not only on local business, but also on community maintenance and sustainability issues including water development, fire protection, sanitation, and schools.  In 2008, the Lemon Grove Chamber merged with the East County Chamber of Commerce, which also includes La Mesa, Alpine, Rancho San Diego, Santee, Lakeside, and Spring Valley.

Note Author: Amanda Lanthorne





Page Generated in: 0.06 seconds (using 113 queries).
Using 7.13MB of memory. (Peak of 7.34MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign